Last update: January 15, 2020
“Personal Information” means information that can be used to identify, locate or contact you or could reasonably be used to identify, locate or contact you and which is submitted to and/or collected by the Website and maintained by One Drop in an accessible form, in the course of our activities. The Personal Information we collect through the Website may include contact information that allows us to identify and to communicate with you, such as, without limitation, your name, email address, mailing address and phone number.
Purposes for Collecting and Using Personal Information
One Drop collects and may use Personal Information to fulfill One Drop’s legitimate business purposes as a charitable entity, and to enable One Drop to manage, maintain and develop our operations. For example, we collect and use information for the following purposes:
Charity and Corporate Governance:
- To accomplish and execute our charitable purposes, statutory and financial reporting and other legal and regulatory compliance requirements.
- To solicit donations, administer campaigns, events, initiatives, programs and donations, send marketing materials and send thank you communications, including preparing and providing tax receipts.
Fulfilling Your Requests:
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, when you contact us via our Website or otherwise, for example, when you send us questions, or when you request information about our Website, organization or activities.
- To complete and fulfill your donation or purchase, for example, to process your payments and donations, communicate with you regarding your purchase or donations and provide you with related customer service.
Providing You with Our Communications, Newsletters or Other Marketing Materials:
- To provide you with our most recent information, including projects, partnerships, activities and the latest information regarding access to safe water issues.
- To communicate with you about activities, offers, promotions, campaigns and events offered by One Drop and others with whom One Drop has associated itself..
- To send you marketing related push notifications and emails, with information about our activities and other news about One Drop and its initiatives.
Analysis of Personal Information for Business Reporting and Providing Personalized Services::
- To analyze or predict our users’ preferences in order to prepare aggregated trend reports on how our digital content is used, so that we can improve the Website.
- To better understand you, so that we can personalize our interactions with you and your experience on the Website, including by presenting information, content, opportunities and offers tailored to your interests.
Allowing You to Participate in Sweepstakes, Contests or Other Promotions:
- We may offer you the opportunity to participate in sweepstakes, contests and other promotions.
Accomplishing our Charitable and Business Purposes:
- For data analysis, for example, to improve the efficiency of our Website.
- For audits, to verify that our internal processes function as intended and are compliant with legal, regulatory or contractual requirements.
- To ensure the security and processing of your Personal Information and to prevent or detect fraud.
- For fraud and security monitoring purposes, for example, to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft.
- To investigate an anticipated breach of an agreement or to investigate and help prevent potentially unlawful activity that threatens One Drop.
- For developing new offerings, communications, services, programs, events and initiatives.
- For enhancing, improving or modifying our current, offerings, opportunities, activities, programs, events and initiatives.
- For identifying usage trends, for example, understanding which parts of our Website are of most interest to users.
- For determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, so that we can adapt our campaigns to the needs and interests of our users.
- For operating and expanding our activities, for example, understanding which parts of our Website are of most interest to our users so we can focus our energies on meeting our users’ interests.
Compliance with Applicable Laws:
- To ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, to comply with a subpoena or court order, or to comply with the rules of court regarding the production of records, or any other purpose required or permitted by law.
We take children’s privacy seriously. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children through the Website. If you are a minor under the laws of your country, please do not submit any Personal Information through the Website without the express consent and participation of a parent or guardian.
How We Collect Personal Information
Providing Personal Information is not required to visit our Website. However, if you choose to withhold requested information, you may not be able to obtain certain services provided on our Website. Furthermore, several circumstances will require you to provide us with your Personal Information. These circumstances may include, but are not limited to:
- When you make a donation or purchase a product;
- When you sign up to receive electronic messages including newsletters and other communications;
- When you contact us or provide us feedback;
- When you interact with any One Drop page or account on a social media platform;
- When you participate in a survey or a contest;
- In connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on our Website.
How We Share Your Personal Information
Affiliates and Third Parties:
We may disclose Personal Information to our affiliated entities and our respective employees, contractors, consultants, service providers and other parties who require such information to assist us with managing our relationship with you and operating our organization, including third parties that provide services to us or on our behalf.
Partners and Co-Sponsors:
Storage and Processing:
Personal Information may be transferred to service providers who will store or process this information on One Drop ’s behalf. When we access or transfer Personal Information, we do so in compliance with applicable laws. Some of the data processors may be located outside Canada, in countries which may not have the same or substantially similar privacy laws as those set out in your jurisdiction, and accordingly, your Personal Information may not receive the same protections under the laws of such foreign jurisdictions, that it would in Canada.
In the event that One Drop is merged with another non-profit corporation or during the course of some other form of business combination, merger or joint venture, One Drop’s Personal Information may be subject to review for such purpose by another party, such as our advisers, any prospective third party’s advisers and the third party. Should One Drop or such other third party wish to use any Personal Information for purposes not described herein, then consent for such use of the information will first be obtained.
Enforcement & Prevention:
Retention of Personal Information
One Drop retains Personal Information for as long as needed in light of the purposes for which it was obtained and to comply with applicable laws. The criteria used to determine our retention periods includes whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them).
We may therefore retain your Personal Information for an additional period in archive databases, including for the duration of applicable statutes of limitation in order to be able to exercise our rights or defend ourselves in case of legal claims. Please note that if you merely unsubscribe from marketing communications such as the newsletter, we may nonetheless continue to use your Personal information for marketing and business analytics purposes, unless you withdraw your consent to this activity or object to it by contacting us at email@example.com with a mention “Legal/Privacy” in its subject line.
Safeguarding Personal Information
We have adopted reasonable security procedures to help protect against loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification to the Personal Information you provide to us.
While we strive to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee that unauthorised third parties will never be able to defeat those measures or use your Personal Information for improper purposes and cannot be responsible for the loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification of your Personal Information, unless otherwise provided by law.
Accuracy of and Access to Personal Information
You have a right to access, correct or delete your Personal Information in One Drop ’s custody or control, subject to limited exceptions. We may require you to provide verification of your identity and to pay an administration fee to provide a copy of the information we hold.
In some circumstances, we may not be able to provide access to your Personal Information, for example if it contains the Personal Information of other persons, if it constitutes confidential business information, or if it is protected by solicitor-client privilege. If we deny your request for access to, or refuse a request to correct your Personal Information, we will advise you of the reasons for this refusal.
Advertising and Remarketing
(i) What are cookies?
A cookie is a file text registered in a space dedicated by the hard disk of your computer, tablet or smartphone (“device”) when you consult an online service thanks to your browser. A cookie allows its issuer to identify the device in which it is registered, during the cookie’s term of validity or recording.
(ii) What types of cookies do we use?
The cookies which we transmit are:
• Cookies essential to the browsing on our website (as the identifiers of session) which allow you to use the main features of the website and to secure your connection.
• Cookies not essential to the browsing on our website but allow to optimize its functioning and to give you access to specific features. These cookies so allow you to have a fluid and made-to-measure browsing. To accept cookies on your device is the simplest and the fastest means to personalize and improve your user experience.
• Analytics cookies: We use these cookies to establish the use and performance of our website, statistics, the volume of traffic and utilization of the parts making up our website (content consulted, browser history) so that we can improve the relevance and ergonomics of our services (most consulted pages and sections, most-read articles, etc.).
• Sharing cookies (connection with social networks): Our website contains links to Facebook, Twitter and other similar social networks that allow you to share content from our website with other people. Whenever you use these share buttons a third-party cookie is installed. If you are connected to the social network while browsing our website, you can use the share buttons to link the consulted content to your user account.
(iii) Third party cookies
(iv) Methods of refusal of cookies
The recording of a cookie in a device is subject to the permission of the user of the device. Such permission can be expressed and modified at any time by such user, free of charge.
If you have accepted the recording of cookies in your browser, the cookies integrated into the pages and contained which you have viewed can be temporarily stored in a space dedicated on your device.
If you refuse the recording of cookies on your device, or if you delete those which are registered there, you cannot benefit any more from a certain number of features of our site.
Each browser has different settings. You can find them under the Help menu of your chosen browser, and they will give instructions on how to change your cookie preferences.
Hyperlinks on Our Website
One Drop Foundation
550 Beaumont Avenue, Suite 400,
Montreal, Quebec H3N 1V1
Subject to legal and contractual requirements and reasonable notice, you may refuse to consent to our collection, use, transfer and disclosure of your Personal Information or you may withdraw your consent by contacting us as detailed above. Your decision to withhold or withdraw your consent to certain uses of Personal Information may restrict our ability to provide certain services to you (i.e. to issue tax receipts).